Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Segmented Brewing - Citra Amarillo Wheat

This brew was part of my segmented brewing experiment.  I used my single kettle e-BIAB setup with a full volume continuous recirculation run off my Johnson Controls A419 temperature controller.  I created a make-shift thermowell out of thermoplastic tubing and brass barbed connections and snaked the probe through the top of the kettle barbed fitting.  It worked well in testing and during the mash.  I then ran off the wort into a bucket to hold until the sparge was complete on the sister brew that was going through my HERMS system.  Once the mash was complete over there I dumped the wort into the HERMS kettle, sanitized and waited for the next night to boil.  66.8% efficiency, which wasn't that bad considering it was no sparge and the grain had been around a while.  Again, souring is the main enemy of segmented brewing and this one did smell a bit funky when I opened up the kettle before the boil.  There was a lot of foam on top of the wort.  I boiled off an extra 10 minutes before adding my first hop addition to drive it all off.  It smelled fine going into the fermenter so only time will tell.  This was an interesting brewing experience.  Here is my time breakdown:

First night:
Measure water into kettles, measure and crush grain, test and prime pumps = 1hr

Second night:
Heat strike water, mash, mash out, sparge, clean mash tun = 3 hrs

Wednesday night:
Boil, chill, pitch and cleanup = 3 1/2 hrs

Total time was 7 1/2 hours.  I really enjoyed splitting the time over several days so I did not feel rushed or that I was taking time away from the family.  The bonus of two beers in one session is really appealing. 

Grains:
5# 2-row                     6.4 at 1040
5# wheat                     5.4 at 1047
Mash at 149               66.8% Efficiency

Additions:
60 min boil
0.7 oz Citra First sign of boil, around 70 min mark
.65 oz Citra at 20 min
.65 oz Citra at 15 min
1 oz Amarillo at 10 min
1 oz Amarillo at 0 min
1 oz Amarillo Dry Hop 10 days
Notty at 65-68
OG 1047

Water Adjustments (tsp)
.6 Epsom Salt
.102 Chalk

Ca=36
SO4=61
Mg=17
Na=27
Cl=70
Carb=67
Hard=162
Alk=59

2 comments:

  1. Dry hopped for a week and cold crashed. Transferred to keg 2-22. FG 1.010

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beer soured. F my life. Not going to try a wheat again. The ipa is ok, though I am getting a slight sour in that one but it could be just the knowledge that I know this one soured. This was a biab mash and I am sure there was more grain in the wort so this could have sped up the lacto. Probably going to pass on another segmented brew. I bought some timers to start my strike water before I wake up so next plan is the brew first thing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete