Sunday, April 7, 2013

New Zealand IPA


I really wanted to brew this IPA with all NZ hops.  They have been growing some really interesting varieties lately.  I brewed this as a tandem brew with my Heady Topper clone.  I did a single batch sparge and came up rather short on volume, but hit my target gravities exactly.  I think I rushed the runoff.  My recirculation pump overheated as well so the mash temps were a bit off.  The 1056 took off in a matter of hours and produced a really nice krausen.  The 4 oz dry hop should be tasty.

Grains:
11.5# 2-row
.5# c-20

Hops:
Hop Total: 4 oz pacific jade, 2 oz Moteuka, 2 oz NZ Hallertau
Split as follows:
.5 oz Pacific Jade at 60 (was closer to .8 oz)
3.5 oz mix of Pacific Jade, Motueka, NZ Hallertau
4oz dry hop mix of Pacific Jade, Motueka, NZ Hallertau

Results:
Mashed at 150 (Target 152)
Batch sparged
5.5 collected at 1053
4.7 post boil at 1062
Wyeast 1056
65.8% efficiency
Ferment at 66, raise to 68

Forgot to add my brewing salts, darn.

5 comments:

  1. I would have to say this was a total disappointment. Too spicy and peppery up front and not really any better after that. Different, but not great. I would not make this one again.

    ReplyDelete