Thursday, May 2, 2013

Lambic - The Journey Begins

I have wanted to brew a sour for a while now so I took a run at this easy recipe.  It is a very simple recipe and has won many awards, so I am hopeful that my several year investment will be worth the return.  I brewed this on my 10 gallon electric kettle and the whole hops completely clogged my recirculation pump during chilling.  I finally got it cooled using my old immersion chiller.  I just knew there was a reason I kept that thing sitting around collecting dust.

Malt    
3 lbs golden light DME
3 lbs wheat DME
4 oz malto

Hops
2 oz aged williamette whole hops at 60

Results
1.044 pre boil gravity
1.056 post boil gravity, only 4.5 g into plastic ferementer

I was shooting for 1.044 post boil, but came in a bit high

Ferment for one month then transfer to secondary

Wyeast lambic blend at 68

Water Adjustments
.5 tsp Epsom
.1 tsp chalk

Ca=36
SO4=61
Mg=17
Na=27
Cl=70
Carb=67
Hard=162
Alk=59

1 comment: