Sunday, June 9, 2013

Sour Ginger Peach Ale

This recipe piqued my interest.  I have a growing affection for sour beers.  I like peach and I like ginger, so I thought I would give this one a try.  It should make a nice late summer beer.  I brewed this beer with my buddies Shawn and Chris.  Brew day was fun, but one of my pumps crapped out again so I spent a lot of time making adjustments and plumbing changes to get around the pump failure.  It was nice to have both friends lend an extra hand as I was scrambling to fix things.  I hit all of my numbers and the yeast took off nicely by the next morning.

Grains
9# 2 row
1# flaked wheat
.5# acid malt

Hops
1 oz Progress at 60 min
1/2 oz ginger root at 15 mins

Mash at 150

WL AHS Persica Ale Yeast 299

2oz peach flavoring at kegging

7g collected at 1042
5.5 g post boil at 1052
75.1% efficiency

Water adjustment: .5 epsom

5 comments:

  1. Racked to keg 7-11, added peach flavoring. FG 1.011

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Started out with way too much peach so I lagered it for a month or so. Still not great so I let it sit. Around Christmas it finally came into form and is a nice change-up to have in the kegerator in February. I can now serve it without reservations.

    ReplyDelete