Monday, November 18, 2013

Azacca!

I have been monitoring a new hop that was recently introduced as experimental hop #483 of the American Dwarf Hop Association.  I was eager to learn when (if) it would become available to homebrewers.  A patent was filed in May 2013 for a new hop named Azacca.  After a quick google search, I learned that Azacca is the Haitian God of Farming:


"Keep him well supplied with copious amounts of food, booze and sex and he will never desert your farm. If you own a farm think carefully about this.  He's a bit of a hillbilly, being barefooted with denim dungarees, a straw hat and pipe, and an exagerrated country drawl.  Azacca loves his grub but has simple tastes : boiled maize, bread soaked in oil and rum. And he eats like a pig, hiding away with his food and troughing the lot in double quick time. Unlike his sophisticated brother.  Azacca knows everything that's going on in the lives of the commoners and often spurts out everyone's embarrassing secrets after a skinfull of rum."

Sounds like a solid dude.


One of my online hop sites got a few pounds and I pounced on it.  I decided to mix it equally into my mosaic pale ale recipe that turned out so tasty.  Given the ease of the 15 min boil, I turned this one over to a new assistant brewer, my 3 1/2 year old son.  He rocked it out in no time, crushing the grain in the mill, the hop additions and finally pitching the yeast.  What a kid.  Unfortunately, he will be devastated when I explain to him in 6 weeks that he can't try it.
 
Grains
6 lbs Light DME
1 lb c-40 steeped to 170

15 min boil
2.5 oz split Mosaic/Azacca at 15
1 oz split Mosaic/Azacca at 5
.5 oz split Mosaic/Azacca at 0
1 oz split Mosaic/Azacca dry hop two weeks

US-05 at 66 ambient, raise to 68 for 2 weeks, then dry hop for two weeks

Results
7 pre boil at 1051 with DME added, back down the water next time
6.75 gallons post at 1053

Water Adjustments
2 tsp gypsum



3 comments:

  1. Enjoying this keg a lot. I think I like the mosaic only version a bit better, but the azacca hops add a nice variation since they are so new, you aren't sure what you are tasting. Cascade was probably the best version.

    ReplyDelete