Monday, July 4, 2011

Big Eye India Pale Ale

I had the desire to brew something on the 4th of July and wanted to have an IPA ready for late summer.  So, I decided to revisit a recipe that I had brewed a 3 gallon test batch with the year before.  My good friends at Ballast Point provided me with the below recipe, and it is one of the best IPAs that I brew.  I have great respect for the guys at Ballast Point and think they brew some of the best beer out there.  As evidenced by this recipe, simple is often better.  I used my two-tier 3 kettle e-HERMS system with a single batch sparge and hit all of my target numbers.  I have really dialed in my newly revamped system and love brewing with it.  However, I am not a fan of the big cleanup and the longer setup and breakdown of the 3 vessel system.  With smaller beers, I think I will go exclusively with my single vessel BIAB setup.  On tap this beer is fantastic, but I may modify my water adjustments when I brew it again.  I would go with my Vista, CA water profile instead of Mosher's ideal pale ale.  I am finding Mosher's slightly too bitter.


Grains
15.84# 2-row
.72# c-40
.72# carapils
.72# victory
Mash 151

Additions
1.5 oz columbus  at 60
.5 oz columbus at 10
2 oz centennial 10 day dry hop
s-05 ferment at 66      
OG 1068
fg 1010

Mosher's Ideal Pale Ale
Water Adjustments (tsp)
.587 Epsom Salt
.066 Chalk
4.407 Gypsum

Ca=120
SO4=269
Mg=19
Na=27
Cl=70
Carb=65
Hard=377
Alk=57

No comments:

Post a Comment