Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Current Brewery

I thought I would post my current brewing setup for posterity's sake given the fact that it has gone through several iterations and revisions.  I am sure I will continue to tweak it as the years go on.  I have learned a lot about brewing in the design and implementation of the system.  I am a wanna-be engineer for sure.  3 years ago I was fly sparging with a 3-tier system, and not doing it very well to be honest.  I discovered Homebrewtalk and made friends with a fellow poster Jkarp who posted his Countertop Brutus 20 system, aka CB20.  I dove head-first into the deep end of electric brewing, very much with the kind help of Jkarp. Many experiments later, I finally integrated my original 3-tier system into a multi-functional brewing system that can be used for big or small batches, with or without HERMS, BIAB or traditional batch sparge, closed system wort cooling, a pre-chiller option for the summer, and can do partigyle mashes on big beers.  I experimented with a Shirron plate chiller in my original CB20 system and have gone back to an immersion chiller with whirlpool and like it very much.  Everything is 120v and I brew in my kitchen.  I can brew 3 gallon BIAB batches after work in 3 hours, or full 5 gallon batches in 5 hours.

Option #1-The Big Rig

HERMS with Batch Sparge, Closed System Cooling, Pre-Chiller, or Partigyle Options

BK and MLT are 10 gallon SS Megapots insulated with reflectix. BK has two 1500w ULWD elements run on separate circuits. MLT has one 1500w HD element to heat strike water only and has a false bottom. HLT/HERMS is an 8 gallon SS Megapot with two 1500w ULWD elements (only one needed during HERMS).  Pumps and PID are built into a Stanley rolling toolbox with switches.  The AC-1 pump recirculates the HLT water during HERMS to prevent stratification and can then be used to move water to the MLT for a batch sparge or a partigyle mash.  BK and HERMS-out have thermocouples.  HLT/HERMS vessel can be used for closed system cooling with ice or as a pre-chiller to my IC in the summer.  All connections, except the AC-1 pump connections, are Mcmaster quick-connects.
 
Option #2 - Big Batch BIAB


This is by far my favorite setup.  It is so easy to set up and take down.  I use three to four 5-gallon paint strainer bags for my grains and put them directly in the BK for the mash.  I recirculate during the mash with PID control to keep temps even.  I protect the element from the bags with a stainless flat strainer used for steaming broccoli.  I can go as high as 1065 with this setup.  I often do a "dunk sparge" in a second 5 gallon pot rotating the bags as they drain over the BK.  Cleanup is a breeze with the bags and no MLT to clean.

Option #3-Small Batch BIAB with integrated chiller

After I built my original CB20 system with my two 10 gallon megapots, my original 8 gallon megapot was sitting around collecting dust so I decided to play around with it.  I wanted to see if I could integrate a chiller into the pot that would also function as a HERMS coil if I ever wanted to go that direction.  I used a 20' copper coil from HD and it did a really nice job of chilling a smaller 3-4 gallon batch.  I built a thermocouple into the outlet so that it also functions as a HERMS coil.  I recirculate during the mash with PID control to keep temps even and protect the element from the bag with wire mesh from a bazooka screen that I ripped open.  This is my 3-gallon test batch system.  It is great for quick brews after work.

Old CB20 system no longer in use:

No comments:

Post a Comment