Friday, November 18, 2011

Huma Lupa Licious - Ordinary Bitter Partigyle

The last time we were in northern Michigan we made the trek to Bellaire and visited Short's Brewing Company.  The sandwiches in the brewpub were amazing, as was the beer.  This beer is inspired by their flagship IPA, Huma Lupa Licious, which is an absolutely amazing beer.  A self proclaimed "hop theme park".  With 7 ounces in the boil, and 4 ounces in the dry hop, this will be a hop bomb for sure.  I used my single kettle e-BIAB setup with a 2 gallon "dunk sparge" and missed my OG by 4 points, coming in at 1065 instead of 1069.  I think I have reached the limits of my single kettle setup with this 15 lb mash.  Anything bigger and I would use my 3 kettle system.  I decided to see what was left out of the mash and took a 3 gallon "third" runnings and it was only 1016.  I boiled it down and finally ended up with about 1.5 gallons at 1035 to make an English mild.  We will see if it was worth my trouble.  I still love the ease of my single kettle system though, and the bags make cleanup a snap.  I am excited to try a different dry hopping technique that I read about from an article by Vinnie from Russian River.

1/27/12 - This beer is a big, big hop bomb, however it does have a nice balance to it.  I was thinking of calling it Hop Slick because it reminds me of Moylan's Hopsickle, but I might have to call it Palate Wrecker.  If you drink this beer first, it completely changes your palate for the rest of the evening.  I might play with this recipe in the future.  I am going to enter this one in a competition to see how it scores.  




Grains            Additions                   Results
11.5 2-row      2 columbus at 60       6.5 collected at 1056
1.5 c-60          2 cascade at 30           5.5 at 1065
1 munich        2 centennial at 10     fg 1014
.5 c-20            1 cascade at 0             
.5 wheat          2 columbus dry                      
                       2 cascade dry 
mash at 151    60 min boil                 
s-05 at 66-68   og 1069                       
add dry hops to primary on day 7 (60 degrees), 32 degrees on day 12 and rack off on day 14

3 gallon English bitter partigyle at 1016
Boiled down to 1025, then 60 min boil
.5 oz fuggle at 60
.25 fuggle at 30
.25 fuggle.cascade at 1
Windsor yeast
1035 OG

2/2/12-I don't know why I am amazed by partigyle brewing, but I am.  The ordinary bitters that I have been making out of my IPAs have been just great.  This one did not disappoint.  Windsor may be my new favorite English yeast.  This beer has a lot of Bass type flavor, but is much more smooth.  If I was told it was Bass, I might even believe it.  This is a winner. 


Vista, CA Water Profile
Water Adjustments (tsp) Ca=57
.854 Epsom Salt SO4=136
.825 Baking Soda Mg=22
.155 Canning Salt Na=71
1.254 Gypsum Cl=88

Carb=147

Hard=233

Alk=122










No comments:

Post a Comment